A Year and Counting

It's been just over a year since my husband and I separated.

We celebrated 23 years of marriage before that.  It's strange the difference a year can make in perspective.

I don't really mourn the loss of the person I was married to.  I don't mourn our life together.  I had been in mourning for the loss of self.

I'm not going to fill these pages with the ways in which he wronged me, because I'm certain I'm not perfect and did plenty wrong. 

At the end of the day, it isn't about who's right or wrong, or who's to blame.   What it's about is the fact that I don't like who I am when I'm with him.

As I learn more about who my true self is, the more I see that we were probably never meant to be together, to begin with, but I'm not sorry for that time either. 

While I don't like who I am with him, I do like who I am with my kids.  I believe that there's a reason that things happen the way they do, and that time served its purpose.

Now I have a new purpose, and after a year, I am excited to discover what that might be. 

I'm done with the labels of society that says you have to do and be this if you are this or that.  You have to act like a grandmother, for instance, I've been told.

How precisely is a grandmother supposed to act?  Why do I have to alter my true self because my kids chose to procreate?

No more will I change myself because someone that claims to love me demands it.

I always wanted my kids to have the freedom to be their true, authentic selves, and I cannot be a hypocrite.  How do I teach them that they have one life to live and to live it to the fullest if all I do is give pieces of myself away and change because they want me to be a different person?

I am finally giving myself permission to evolve into the best person I can be and to be happy.  I am happy as my default state.  That is oddly comforting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justice and my personal dealings with police officers.

Learning to Live Again